FLNRO and SCRD get a letter from West Coast Environmental Law about illegal infrastructure expansion proposal at Chapman Lake
On November 17th, West Coast Environmental Law sent a letter to the Ministry of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations (FLNRO):
"...the water works proposed by the SCRD, which would occur within the Tetrahedron Provincial Park, would be illegal and cannot be legally authorized through a Park Use Permit under the Park Act."
- Last Updated: Friday, 16 December 2016 23:27
SCCA Submits Comments on BURNCO Gravel Mine - McNab Creek
Burnco Rock Products plan to build a gravel mine at McNab Creek in Howe Sound. The SCCA has been awarded participant funding from the Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency. Our committee put together a submission compiled from concerns raised by our members and the community at large. It is founded on local and professional knowledge of the McNab Watershed and surrounding environment.
You can view public comments on the Burnco Project at the BC Environmental Assessment Office website here.
- Last Updated: Tuesday, 04 October 2016 04:41
BC Parks and SCRD get a letter from West Coast Environmental Law about infrastructure expansion at Chapman Lake
"We write ... to enquire about the legal basis for a proposal to expand water infrastructure into Tetrahedron Provincial Park. It is our position that the proposed water infrastructure – which apparently would include blasting and trench building to build a permanent pipeline through the park – cannot be accomplished under BC’s existing protected areas legislation and is therefore illegal."
Read the full letter from West Coast Environmental Law here.
- Last Updated: Friday, 23 September 2016 06:57
CALL TO ACTION:
PROTECT THE PARK AT THE HEART OF OUR WATER SUPPLY
URGENT: The Sunshine Coast Conservation Association Needs Your Help to do 2 Things:
1. Stop the SCRD from borrowing $5,000,000 for the Chapman Water Supply Expansion Project until they have proved to regulators and the public that the project won't degrade our drinking water source area. Sign and submit a Elector Response Form by July 26th.
2. Help us get a real conversation going about our water supply, before massive spending occurs.
The following information/articles are intended to help inform your decision to oppose the borrowing, and facilitate the conversation about diversification of our water supply.
- Chapman Lake Water Woes Editorial in SCCA Newsletter.
(Download a digital copy of our full newsletter here)
- Chapman Expansion Summary
- What is this Alternative Approval Process (AAP)?
- Counter Petition ELECTOR RESPONSE FORM
- Opinion of sitting SCRD Director, Lorne Lewis
How to stop the SCRD from borrowing $5,000,000 for the Chapman Water Supply Expansion Project?
The SCRD is seeking taxpayer's permission to borrow $5,000,000 through an Alternative Approval Process (AAP). If 10% or more electors state their opposition to the AAP, the SCRD may not borrow the money (without proceeding to a vote to get elector's permission). To defeat the AAP, we need 1,888 elector response forms to be submitted to the SCRD by July 26th.
WE NEED YOUR HELP TO GET 1,888 SIGNATURES.
Here's how you can help ...
1. First and most importantly, please fill out and submit an Elector Response form. You can access and print a form here. The forms must be completely filled out and delivered to the SCRD office at 1975 Field Road (top of Road) in Wilson Creek by July 16th at 4:30 pm.
2. Ask your neighbours, friends and family to fill out and submit an opposition form.
3. Share this Call to Action on social media and with your networks.
4. Write a letter to the SCRD expressing your views on the issue, and send a copy to the editor of the newspaper.
The SCCA is also setting up locations where you can pick-up, sign and leave the Elector Response forms for your convenience. All forms will be picked up from these locations on July 25 and delivered to the SCRD office on July 26:
Gibsons: Gaia's Fair Trade, 287 Gower Point Road
Sechelt: Sechelt Visitor Centre, 5790 Teredo Steet (in Seaside Centre)
Pender Harbour: TBA
And at upcoming SCCA Outreach booths:
Sunday, July 10: Halfmoon Bay Country Fair, Coopers Green Park
Tuesday, July 19th: Sunnycrest Mall, Gibsons
- Last Updated: Friday, 23 September 2016 07:02