Potential Marbled Murrelet Nesting Habitat in the SC Forest District
The Marbled Murrelet is a threatened sea bird that nests in coastal old growth forests. Its populations have been in steady decline for many years. The federal government’s scientific advisory body, the Committee on the Status of Endangered Wildlife in Canada (COSEWIC), lists this species as imperilled due to loss of nesting habitat.
This map shows areas that have the age, stand structure and aspect to be potential nesting habitat. A few of these areas have been designated as Wildlife Habitat Areas (WHAs), mostly in the Brittain and Howe landscapes (thanks to the SCCA for that).
The decline of Murrelet populations is a consequence of poor forestry management and excessive exploitation. Protection of nesting habitat would help the species and also contribute to badly needed general biodiversity protection.
There is a dedicated section on our website about Old Growth and the Marbled Murrelet where you can learn more.
In this Section
- Biodiversity in Coastal Forested Landscapes Overview
- Understanding Biodiversity in Coastal Forested Landscapes
- Geographic and Political Map of BC
- Tools and Resources for Biodiversity Protection
- Biogeoclimatic Zones of BC
- Bioecoclimatic Zones of Sunshine Coast Forest District
- Map of BEC Subzones of the Sunshine Coast Forest District
- Landscape Units of the Sunshine Coast Forest District
- Biogeoclimatic Subzones and Landscape Units in the SC Forest District
- Biogeoclimatic Subzones of the Chapman Landscape Unit
- Biogeoclimatic Subzones of the Sechelt Landscape Unit
- Age Classes of the SC Forest District
- Age Classes of the Sechelt Landscape Unit
- Age Classes of the Chapman Landscape Unit
- Landscape Unit Plans and Old Growth Management Areas
- Old Growth Management Areas of the SC Forest District
- Fisheries Sensitive Watersheds of the SC Forest District
- A Partial List of Small Regionally Significant Fisheries Watersheds
- A Collage of Small Watershed Estuaries
- Potential Marbled Murrelet Nesting Habitat in the SC Forest District
- SC Forest District Mountain Goat Winter Ranges (MGWR)